Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dona Cata - Authentic Mexican

Alright, first and foremost, I would like to thank the 3 people who follow this blog for not unfriending this blog. Over the past 2 months, I have successfully moved out of my apartment, moved back in with my parents, and ready myself for a year long adventure in London. Over the Christmas break, I am going to do my best, and leave you guys with some of my favourite places in my hometown.




Dona Cata. Victoria Drive and 34th Ave in East Vancouver. Currently, this is in the top 5 of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver. It feels like it is run by the only Mexican family in Vancouver. Every time I go here for food, I am never disappointed. I was first introduced by my friend Daniel, who being from LA is very picky with his tacos. On his recommendation, I took my wife there for lunch, then dinner, then lunch, then lunch, then dinner, all within about 2 months.

My wife, friend Daniel, and 3 mexicans (Manny, Pepe, and Liz) enjoying the aftermath.

Growing Up, I always thought that a taco was a hard shell/flour tortilla with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, olives and sour cream. Apparently, my mom wasn't an authentic Mexican like 3 of the 5 of friends of mine in the above picture. Something awesome about having Mexican friends (besides free oil changes on my El Camino) is showing me what authentic Mexican food really is. And in that regard, Dona Cata seems to hits on all levels.

Nopales and Longaniza Tacos
A traditional taco is your choice of filling with raw onions, cilantro in a corn tortilla. I have tried most of the fillings at Dona Cata but the hits are definitely the BARBACOA DE BORREGO which is slow braised lamb in secret spices, and the LONGANIZA which is cured pork sausage. Always remember as well,  you can never squeeze enough lime on your taco.

Barbacoa, Al Pastor, and Carnitas Tacos
Other great hits on this menu are the nopales tacos (my wife's favourite) which is cooked cactus served with Longaniza and all the fixin's. Gringa's, which are folded over tacos on a flour tortilla, cheese, and your choice of taco fillings. My personal favourite, the Mole chicken. Chocolate and Chicken, does it get better than that.

Mole chicken with Beans and Rice
A nice perk of Dona Cata is their salsa bar (see picture below). 8 homemade salsas, ranging from mild, quality taste to "Wow, i am not going to enjoy this experience in about 2 hours" hot.

Dona Cata's Salsa Bar
So, in summary. $2 tacos, 2 margaritas for $8, and if you go here and drop $50, you will eat and drink like a king. Dona Cata is a hit on all levels. Go there with some friends, order 5 tacos, a couple dishes to share, and a michelada (a sort of beer caesar) and a couple margaritas and you will definitely be satisfied or champified (I believe that will now be an official term). So, on that note, enjoy one of these below, please leave your comments and happy eating.

A cold Negra Modelo served always in an ice cold glass

No comments:

Post a Comment