Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Retrospective Post #1: Phil's Fish Market and Eatery

So as i am new to blogging, and unfortunately for my loyal blog fans, I can't afford to go out every night to eat something amazing, I am going to give you let's call it a history of awesome places where food has entered me, and added the valuable pounds to my growing stomach. Some will be local to Vancouver, and some will be from my past travels. Our first trip down memory lane comes from the trip that my wife and I took last year down to San Francisco and the west coast of the US of A. Moss Landing, California. There really isn't very much in Moss Landing. Some sort of refinery, a marina, and alot of fishing boats. The reason to stop is Phil's Fish Market and Eatery.

We originally came across Phil's while we were watching an episode of Throwdown! with Bobby Flay. It looked so good that my wife and I planned our trip around stopping here for food (not really but it makes a fatter story). The Throwdown item was Cioppino. Cioppino is a fish stew made up by combining the catch of the day with a tomato and wine sauce. Everytime I find out someone is going through the area, I tell them to stop at Phil's and get the Cioppino. It is definitely one of the best things i have ever put into my mouth.

The Cioppino at Phil's Fish Market and Eatery
The Cioppino at Phil's consists of mussels, crab, scallops, prawns, 2 types of fish, squid, clams and whatever other seafood is fresh, along with the most amazing tomato soup you will ever have on the West Coast. This stuff is so good that you can order frozen containers of the stuff and ship it all over the USA(still crossing my fingers for Canadian shipping). Not only do you get a giant bowl of amazing Cioppino, but they also serve it with a green salad and garlic bread. We added 12 oysters on top and made this possibly the most satisfying meal that i have had.

The Aftermath
 Phil's Fish Market made such a good impression us that the next day on our way back up the coast, we stopped for lunch again. This time around we decided to try a bunch of different items, while in the back of my head saying, "Champ, get the goddamn Cioppino!".

Local Artichokes with an Italian Mayo
Clam Strips served in a bread boat

Grilled Sardines

Our lunch this time around consisted of Local artichokes with an Italian Mayo. This is the first time I have had artichokes without butter, and at first, it was weird. After 3 bites it got interesting, and after 10 bites I was hooked. We had the Grilled sardines which were nice, and the clam strips. These were good, but i found them a little to deep fried and battery. We finished off with some homemade Clam Chowder. I have never been satisfied twice by a man like Phil satisfied me.

Satisfied Champ!
So, the moral of the story is if you are heading towards Monterey, California, don't make the same mistake that many others have (Ivan and Mark!). Stop in Moss Landing, go to Phil's Fish Market and order the Cioppino. If you stop twice, don't make the same mistake as i did. Order the Cioppino again.
Or this guy will come and get you...





Please leave your comments and Happy Eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment